Looking to expand and take your product elsewhere? Understanding the regulations for the country you wish to sell your vaping products, is essential as they differ around the globe. And it is certainly worth taking your product to other markets, especially if it’s already receiving great success elsewhere. Let’s briefly look at the different regulations that govern the three main territories, and how they might differ from those in the UK.
The regulations for other countries
If your products are already listed in these countries, then chances are you are already aware of the different regulations. Here’s a brief list of the key regulations across the EU, US and Middle East.
- Child-resistant & tamper-proof packaging
- Must notify the appropriate regulatory body with ingredients in E-Liquids components in devices and refilling mechanisms of devices
- Devices must be protected against breakage and leakage
- It must be possible to refill devices without leakage
- Devices must deliver a consistent dose of nicotine per puff
- Capacity of tanks, pods and cartridges must be no more than 2ml
- E-Liquids containing nicotine must be sold in volumes of 10ml or less
- Nicotine strengths of E-Liquids must not exceed 20mg/ml
- Legal age for vaping is set at 18 for most EU countries
- E-Cigarettes and re-fill containers can’t be advertised or promoted, directly or in-directly
These TPD regulations guide the majority of EU countries in their handling of E-Cigarettes and vape products. However, there are some countries that have begun to implement flavour bans or ban vaping entirely. Find out more about EU regulations here.
- Register your establishment and submit a list of products, labelling and advertisements
- Submit data and pay user fees
- Submit an ingredient listing
- Apply to market a new tobacco product via one of three pathways
- Submit quantities of harmful and potentially harmful constituents
- Submit tobacco health documents
- Submit a warning plan for smokeless tobacco
- Include required warning statements on packages and advertisements
- Submit a modified risk tobacco product (MRTP) application
- Age-restricted for those under 21 years of age
It’s important to note that some states in the US have also implemented flavour bans. This means they only accept tobacco-flavoured vapes and E-Liquids. Some of the regulations differ between states with some outright banning vaping altogether.
UAE & Middle East Regulations
- maximum nicotine concentration is capped at 20mg/ml
- maximum tank capacity is no more than 10ml
- maximum capacity of refill packages is no more than 50ml
- must display all health warnings in Arabic and English that must cover at least 50% of the main display area. English to appear on the lower front, Arabic on the lower back.
- must also display a health warning in Arabic and English: “This product may pose a health hazard when inhaled, swallowed or gets in contact with the skin.”
- must not contain a variety of harmful ingredients & additives including cinnamic compounds
- Prohibited to those under the age of 18
Some of these regulations can differ depending on the country as some Middle Eastern countries have outright banned vaping.
Many of these share similar restrictions with the main ones to take note of, are the limitations on size, strength, and ingredients, as these have an impact on the product you manufacture. Products that do not abide by the regulations of the country for reselling, will be classified as illegal and could be disposed of by authorities. Find out more about UAE regulations here.
Regulations for the UK
When bringing your brand and established products to the UK, you need to take into account the regulations established by TRPR (Tobacco and Related Products Regulations).
- E-Liquid bottles that contain nicotine can be no larger than 10ml
- Tanks, pods and cartridges can be no larger than 2ml
- The maximum nicotine strength allowed is 20mg/ml (2%)
- E-Liquids must not contain any ingredients that are disallowed
- E-Cigarette packages must include an information leaflet
- Packaging must include nicotine warnings on the front and back, covering 30% of the size
These regulations are very similar to the EU regulations with only small differences, but it’s important to make sure that your E-Liquid products match the specified strengths, max capacity, and warnings. Find out more about UK regulations here.
It is also worth noting that in the UK, advertising E-Cigarettes and vaping products is strictly regulated with only a few exceptions. Similarly, vaping products are age-restricted for those under the age of 18 and it should be a brand’s interest to ensure their products do not appeal to those who are underage.
For those with brands that cross different countries with different regulations, it could become the norm to label vaping products with the country it is intended to be sold in. Products like ELUX vapes have now begun including a ‘not for sale in the UK’ to their packaging for products intended for US markets. This is intended to help retailers from accidentally stocking products not legal in their country.
How Xyfil can help get you into the UK market
As a leading British E-Liquid Manufacturer, we have over ten years of experience in manufacturing and the production of E-Liquids suitable worldwide. We have helped hundreds of brands to market in the EU, UK and Middle East and more. Between our in-house compliance team and highly experienced members in all departments, we ensure that the products you want are suitable for the market you wish to hit. Whether that’s from the ground up with our white label and OEM E-Liquid manufacture, or with your pre-produced E-Liquids, we cover it all.
Xyfil is equipped to bottle your products in compliant bottling solutions, and our creative teams are able to create/edit product packaging to suit your needs. We offer many white label products which are already created and compliant for EU, UK and the Middle East to help you hit markets quicker. Or alternatively, if you’re looking to alter your existing products to suit new markets, we are more than equipped to handle any changes in product capacity, testing, packaging and more.
Contact us today to find out more about how we can help you.